From:
Keith Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2005 21:42:01 -0000
Hi,

I agree totally with your comments.  I think there are some real
disadvantages to having hf/vhf radios in one box.

Firstly, in the case of a failure you have lost the whole thing while it is
being repaired.

Secondly, there is the issue of being able to listen in more places at
once with separates.  Take the ts-790.  You can listen to 2 metres and
70cm at the same time with different aerials and on different modes i.e.
ssb on one band and fm on the other.

I gather that the ts-2000 does not allow listening on side band on the
second receiver which is a serious shortcomming for the real enthusiast.

I believe the all-in-one radios are a comprimise for those who want a bit
of everything in a smallish package but who will not mind missing out on
top of the range performance.

So, I still maintain that the ideal setup is

hf bands - ts-950sdx

vhf/uhf - ts-790.

If only they made radios like that now.

Keith