From:
Bob Humbert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2005 14:55:03 -0800
Yes, I know that is true from the old days when we put up TV antennas.
However, Most decorative fireplaces have a dedicated chimney for safety
purposes and nothing goes up them unless you build a fire which I never
intend to do.  Do I dare say the name, "Radio Shack" sold 10 foot lengths of
pipe that fit together like our folding canes.  The chimney reaches about 20
feet into the air.  I thought I might use about 3 straps on one of the pipes
with the end  just above the top of the chimney and then slipping another 10
foot piece over it with the antenna already mounted to it
.  It would be occuward but doable.  The first 10 foot would spread out the
stress on the chimney and may even strengthen it.  Hopefully a friendly fire
department will lend me a latter and a fireman to go along with it at the
time.

What is this I hear about a $400 antenna tooner?  That's a sticker shock!!
I figured $1500 for the transceiver, and about $500 for the antenna system
with all of the paraphernalia that goes along with it.  Now I'm beginning to
think that I need to add another $500 for stuff I hadn't counted on.  Hay!
this hobby can get expensive if you let it, can't it?