ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Brad Dunse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 12:58:10 -0500
Amy,

I use to be on an email list that was called Blind Working People. A group
of people looking or who had jobs and wanted to help those looking and etc.
I'm not sure if it was on Yahoogroups or Topica. You might also check out

http://www.esight.org/

Which has some helps for working blind folks.  If you like customer service
type work there's opportunities out there in call centers, if you do like
the transcription I think there is . Sandy .  someone on  this  . Sandy .
list  who could   . Sandy .  help you with that lol. Another option which I
was thinking of doing and actually did at my former church in Texas is
transcribing sermons for those churches who do that, also there are those
who transcribe legal things such as depositions, as well as some TV shows
offer a transcription of a talk show and etc. So there are other
transcription areas besides medical too. Seems as though you have skills
and training. I'm curious, you must have known you would lose sight if you
learned Braille before hand? I mean they don't make a habit of teachign
Braille in public schools to everyone ehheeh.

Brad

gordons wrote:
>Brad,
>     Yes, I did go to the Department for the Blind here in Kentucky.  I got
>alot from it.  I already knew braille because I had learned enough of it
>before I lost my sight that I could pick it back up easily and learn the
>rest on my own.  Before I lost my sight I hated learning it because I didn't
>need it so I quit but now I know it well.  I had mobility there and also
>learned it before I lost my sight but didn't really use it much.  Now I'm
>glad I had the starts in these things.  I learned to use jaws on my own
>after loosing my sight because I have used a computer all through school.  I
>also had independant living training.  I really needed that.  I think the
>hardest thing I was trained in was mobility though.  I have a fear of being
>alone.  I live in the country and know I should live in the city but I don't
>want too because it would be such a change for me and I don't want to be
>alone.  I did do a work experience while I was at the DFB.  I worked at the
>Printing House for the Blind transcribing interviews that they had done with
>people that had worked there about the history of the place.  I really liked
>it.  It was very intresting and payed great.  They said that they might call
>me to do more next year if I'm available.  I wish there was more of an
>opportunity out there for it.  So, I don't know I have volunteered at Seven
>Counties answering phone and things and I helped in the office at school as
>a class in High School.  I enjoyed all of these things.  I've also
>volunteered at my Aunt's Daycare before I lost my sight, but am thinking of
>doing it again.  I really like babies and to take care of them but I don't
>know how good I would be now with performing some of the tasks.  I am sure I
>could learn though.  Okay, so there's a little background about what I've
>done.
>
>Amy

Brad

   FREE  & Talking Classifieds available at:
HTTP://WWW.RIVERCITIESCONNECTION.COM
  Connecting people's goods  with the good people of NW Wisconsin and
Greater Twin Cities!