ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 13:24:12 -0400
Brad,
    Yes, I did go to the Department for the Blind here in Kentucky.  I got
alot from it.  I already knew braille because I had learned enough of it
before I lost my sight that I could pick it back up easily and learn the
rest on my own.  Before I lost my sight I hated learning it because I didn't
need it so I quit but now I know it well.  I had mobility there and also
learned it before I lost my sight but didn't really use it much.  Now I'm
glad I had the starts in these things.  I learned to use jaws on my own
after loosing my sight because I have used a computer all through school.  I
also had independant living training.  I really needed that.  I think the
hardest thing I was trained in was mobility though.  I have a fear of being
alone.  I live in the country and know I should live in the city but I don't
want too because it would be such a change for me and I don't want to be
alone.  I did do a work experience while I was at the DFB.  I worked at the
Printing House for the Blind transcribing interviews that they had done with
people that had worked there about the history of the place.  I really liked
it.  It was very intresting and payed great.  They said that they might call
me to do more next year if I'm available.  I wish there was more of an
opportunity out there for it.  So, I don't know I have volunteered at Seven
Counties answering phone and things and I helped in the office at school as
a class in High School.  I enjoyed all of these things.  I've also
volunteered at my Aunt's Daycare before I lost my sight, but am thinking of
doing it again.  I really like babies and to take care of them but I don't
know how good I would be now with performing some of the tasks.  I am sure I
could learn though.  Okay, so there's a little background about what I've
done.

Amy