Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Bob Humbert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 20:26:25 -0800
If, no, when I pass the general exam January 15 I'm going to buy the THF6a.
I'm not going to get it sooner because I probably would spend too much time
learning it and not enough time studying for the exam.  I'm consistently
scoring around %90 on the QRZ practice test and so I think I'm going to do
ok.

HF is going to wait for about a year.  Meanwhile I'm trying to learn all
that I can about the best way to go.  Here is what I think so far:

Fifty watts should be plenty.  Just enough to drive a linear amplifier
legally if it is ever needed.  More power, from what I read here, is ruff on
antenna tuners etc

All HM transceivers operate on 12 volts and therefore any of them can be a
portable   in a disaster so the only things to consider are accessibility,
reliability, and durability.  Yes, cost too but from what I hear here, there
hasn't bin any real reason to upgrade for many years.  If I have any
additional nickels I'm going to put them into an antenna and I sure hope I
hear more discussions about antennas from you guys here.  I have ruled out a
Yoggi, quad, and delta loop because I just don't have the space.  Many
people have a back yard pool.  I have a pool back yard and there just isn't
room for anything else.  Vent pipes here and I suppose everywhere are now
PVC and so the chimney seems to be my only option.  Even they are just
stucco and sticks with a double metal pipe in the center where cool air is
drawn down through the outer chamber of the pipe cooling the hot air pipe in
the center.  A very ingenious idea but not so very strong.  So, I guess I am
looking for the best nondirectional multi band antenna.  Right now, my
thinking is that I will forget about 40, 80, and 160 meters to keep the
weight down.  Any efforts to straighten out my thinking will be greatly
appreciated.