EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"* EASI: Equal Access to Software & Information" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Peter Verhoeven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 08:07:21 +0100
Hi Kathie,

First, it seems that your students does not use braille lines?
ZoomText does not support braille.

If you have blind users or users with a very restrictive vision ZoomText
is ABSOLUTELY NOT a solution for them. They simply can not work with
ZoomText, because the current ZoomText version 7.11 does not include so
called "blind speech".
Aisquared - makers of ZoomText - promise "blind speech" support in the
new version 8, but first see before believe.

If you are looking for one product, that includes "blind speech" and
magnification support I would recommend Supernova from Dolphin. It is a
stable product, offers braille line support, excelent magnification and
blind speech support. Only the included speech software Orpheus is out
of date in terms of quality. But there are free alternatives available
like Microsoft Speech or TruVoice.

Also the speech support in MAGic from Freedom Scientific is better, than
that in ZoomText, but the magnifier is worst that in ZoomText and
Supernova.

Dolphin has also a product named Lunarplus. It is a product like
ZoomText level 2, but the speech support is better than in ZoomText, but
worst that in Supernova.

You can also combine ZoomText level 1 with Jaws and Window-Eyes for your
students with remaining vision. The combination Window-Eyes and ZoomText
level 1 is very stable and both companies have excelent support.

Links:

Dolphin:
http://www.dolphinusa.com

Aisquared:
http://www.aisquared.com

Freedom Scientific:
http://www.freedomscientific.com

For product reviews visit my web site at:
http://www.magnifiers.org (The Screen Magnifiers Homepage)

Regards Peter Verhoeven