From:
CC Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
CC Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 11:23:37 -0700

I just received a half dozen emails from readers on the list agreeing with my suggestion to write Time with their inaccurac  about Celiac.  Then I got a response from Time:

Thank you for your letter prompted by Michael Lemonick's July 19 Your Time article, "Allergic to Wheat?"  According to Dr. David Elliott, director of the University of Iowa's Celiac Clinic, celiac disease is aptly described as a severe allergy to gluten, and we regret your consternation at seeing the word used in this context.  Lemonick was also sure to note the range of the disease's symptoms and to add that it is "not just discomforting" but "triggers an immune response that attacks the lining of the intestines."Our thanks for your attentive interest in our reporting, and best wishes.Sincerely,Robert CushingTIME

Is there anyone out there on the list who would like to take on this response from the Dr Elliot referred to and his statement that we have an allergy???  CC in CT