Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Kim Ullner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jul 2004 17:53:16 -0500

I had asked about Gluten free (friendly) restaurants in Colorado, Wyoming,
South Dakota and Utah.  I received the following responses.  Thank you to
all.

Colorado:
If you swing down to Colorado Springs, we have a GF bakery that is awesome!
(You can stock up on loaves of bread, crackers, cookies, pies, etc.) It is
Outside the Breadbox (on your way to visit places like Pikes Peak or Garden
of the Gods – worthwhile stops!). http://www.outsidethebreadbox.com/ Make
sure you look over the website, check their hours, and if you have specific
foods that you want, order the day before you come down.

There are quite a few choices in Denver to eat out. One of our favorites is
the Hacienda Colorado, which is close to the Tech Ctr. & off I-25. Their
corn tortillas/chips are GF. There is also a PF Changs at the Park Meadows
Mall, near the Tech Ctr. Vesta’s Dipping Grill (downtown) is great. Also,
if you like sushi, Sushi Den (Florida & Pearl) is the absolute best. They
do not have a GF soy sauce, but the fish is superb. And in Cherry Creek,
the Fourth Story restaurant was very knowledgeable and accommodative, and
great ambiance too (above the infamous Tattered Cover Bookstore).
There are also a few Whole Foods around (Cherry Creek area and Highlands
Ranch). Or Wild Oats is great for shopping too.
For stores there are 3 I use - Vitamin Cottage, Whole Foods and Wild Oats.
All have GF selections. I actually shop mostly in King Soopers, the
standard store and find most of what I need there. Only for cereal, pasta,
crackers and the like do I use the other stores.

For restaurants - Maggianos is great and will work with you on most
anything. They always have rice pasta.  (I feel I must add that this must
be just this location, because the "corporate line" I received is that they
will NOT accommodate gluten free.  I have eaten there several times in
Atlanta and gotten sick and even found gluten pasta in my meal.)

Chipotle (Mexican Quick Serve) all is OK other than the flour tortillas
last I checked.
Noodles and Company (Quick Serve Noodles dishes) has a few things that work
and has a menu card that lists ingredients.

South Dakota:

I know of a great health food store in Rapid City. They even had a Gluten
Free section when I was there in Feb. It is called "Main Street Market" and
is downtown Rapid City" at 512 Main St.

There is another Health food store called "Staple and Spice" on Mt.
Rushmore road in downtown Rapid City,also, but it didn't have as much
gluten free food. It did have organic veggies, etc... if you are into that.
You will not find anything in Keystone but there is a taffy place called
Rushmore Taffy ( I think?) that is GF.

For Mt. Rushmore, we went ahead and drove into Rapid City for a family
buffet restaurant where everyone left happy. It was called Royal Fork, very
family oriented.
http://www.rapidcitycvb.com/pg/ap/vn/Dining/Family+Restaurants/Royal+Fork+Bu
 ffet

Yellowstone:
Yellowstone had a cafeteria with choices we did pretty well in and it was
reasonable.

Wyoming:
Sundance WY might be remote like Hulett was, and close up before sundown,
so you might be better off going into Gillette. However, if you're going to
Devil's Tower at all, staying at Devil's Tower B&B Lodge is a must, and
they will accommodate special diets. Frank and Lorna are cooky and fun. I
was able to do laundry there as well. Let me know if you need a number for
them. We took a similar road trip a year ago and had a wonderful time,
picnicking in the car for lunches. http://www.devilstowerlodge.com/ It's
actually INSIDE the park with a deck

Salt Lake City, UT:
Bert Cohen of EnjoyLife Foods wrote: We supply gluten-free pasta to the
Biaggi's Restaurants, which has a location in Salt Lake City. They have
excellent food!
Biaggis Ristorante Italiano - Salt Lake City
194 South 400 West
Salt Lake City
UT
84101
(801) 596-7222

Again, thank you so much to everyone for your responses. Kim.