BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cuyler Page <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Easy bent lead pipe.
Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 2004 01:04:38 -0700
> Let us know how you do with the Costumed One, and whether her dedication
to period attire extends to areas not ordinarily seen by the public.
> Ralph

After thirty years of friendship, including eight years of sharing house and
life together when we first met back in the 70"s, Carole and I just got back
together and bought a house this year.   We share a passion for Early Music
of the Renaissance and Baroque persuasion, and are about equal in skill on
our instruments, making for some nice music (yes, we make beautiful music
together).   We found a house with a huge living room for ensembles and
house concerts, and huge kitchen for our social life beside a broad balcony
with a grand view over the valley, and a lovely courtyard for privacy even
though it is a three minute walk to the closest espresso cafe (the temple of
the Zen Coffee Master).    We have always seen each other as Best Friends
even through other years of other lives during the last thirty, somehow
really understanding and respecting each other in a way that finally made so
much sense that we decided we might as well live it, making the most of our
final years here on earth.

We have the Costume Thing in common too, so I spent last Sunday in 1880's
Amish trousers and straw hat riding my Penny Farthing around the historic
site where she spends summer, stopping into her kitchen for buns and honey
from time to time.   But, Carole is also a practical soul, now getting me to
wear Hawaiian shirts for relaxing times.

I was formerly with one who's dedication to period attire went all the
way  -   laced corsets, four petticoats and all the trimmings, but she
didn't
know when to stop, so we did (stop).   She was perhaps the best living
history performer I have ever known, but all that hardware and tight
bundlings seemed to make for a very tense and argumentative character.   No
wonder there are so many stern stereotypes from the Victorian era.
Actually, when dealing with the real clothing
replica/restoration/recreation, the closest layers to the body were the
least interesting, not like today.

Well, Ralph, you did ask.   Funny how "public" and "pubic" have so much
spelling in common, or did I catch the drift of your thought?

cp happily householding on weekends in bc