EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Comden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Equal Access to Software & Information <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2007 13:19:54 -0700
You have some applications listed that don't have the best reputations for
stability and memory control.

You can go into the task manager control (ctrl-Alt-delete, then choose
Task Manager) click on the Process tab, then sort by CPU (click on the CPU
column heading twice) to see what processes are consuming the most system
resources at any one time. Most of the time System Idle Process should be
the top contender, which is normal.

Try quitting and restarting various suspect programs (including your
version of Jaws) to see if that peps up the performance. Yes it can
interrupt the work flow, but sometimes it's faster than putting up with a
pokey processor.

Also make sure that the antivirus software isn't running amok. Should be
set to scan target file types, not all files.

-*- Dan Comden                [log in to unmask]
     Access Technology Lab     www.washington.edu/computing/atl/
     University of Washington