From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2004 00:36:05 -0800
On 1 Nov 2004 at 15:19, Gene Johnson wrote:

> I have a cable modem connected to a Linksys wireless router model WRT54G and
> two remote computers with wireless PCI adapter cards.  The computers are
> running XP-PRO and the network is working well. However, I am trying to add
> a third computer and cannot access my local network.
>
> The technician who set the network up somehow added the MAC addresses of the
> wireless adapter cards to the router to limit access to only these MAC
> identified adapters.  Can anyone tell me how to access the router and how to
> include the MAC address for this new computer?

  Take a look at the network config on one of the working computers.  Look
for the IP address of the "default gateway".  It could be something like
"192.168.1.1".  So point your browser to "http://192.168.1.1", or whatever
the address is.
  Your browser should ask you for the router password.  If you don't have
it, you may need to call the tech who installed it.  Or there's probably a
tiny button (could be inside a small hole where you need a straightened
paperclip to press it) to restore the router to its factory defaults, but
that means reconfiguring everything -- prefer to avoid that!

  Once past the login, you're at a web-based configuration interface for the
router.  Locating and modifying the list of allowed MAC addresses should be
pretty straightforward.

David Gillett

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>