From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:34:24 -0700
At 04:08 PM 6/25/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>If I add a PCI ATA card to my computer, will that allow me to have more
>than four IDE devices hook up? I currently have two CD's and two HD's so
>the standard IDE ports are fully populated.

Yes it will. But also consider the capability of your system. Do you have a
free PCI slot? Is your power supply big enough? Do you have enough drive
bays for the extra drive(s)?

You also get into more subtle issues like cooling within the case, not only
the extra heat given off by the hard drive, but all the cables clutter the
case and interfere with air flow. The new round cables help, or if you go
to SATA (Serial ATA) where the cables are much smaller.

If you feel uncomfortable, you might consult a PC expert at a local shop
where they can take a look at it, or post a complete description of your
system (including case size and type and power supply rating if known) to
this forum.

Russ Poffenberger
Credence Systems Corp.

                     support at our newest website: