From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 21:54:07 -0400
Hi Steve.

I've had winds that strong here, and mine stayed up, but it wasn't mounted
like you are proposing.  Mine is on 10 ft of mast on the GAP tilt over
base.  That base is pretty sturdy.  The only problem I've had here is that
mine didn't fare very well with last year's ice storm, which put about a
1.5 inch ice coating on the antenna.  Of course, it brought down 50% of the
trees in my yard also, and took out the G5RV as well.  Unfortunately, the
one truth that I've learned is that no matter how well you build it, there
is some type of weather that will take it down, and you'll usually find out
what that piece of weather is sooner rather than later!

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 08:54 PM 8/16/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi Lou,
>
>I'm definitely worried about the wind issue.  We get winds from 30 to 50
>MPH here in the winter, and I was planning to mount the antenna up on a
>roof.  I also understand that there are some components hanging off the
>side of the antenna, and I'm worried about what the wind might do to them.
>
>Steve
>
>On Monday 8/16/04 17:22 Louis Kim Kline wrote:
>
> >Hi Steve.
> >
> >I have been generally happy with mine, but I will say that these antennas
> >are awfully tall, and if you do not mount them very securely, you will have
> >problems with them.  I would recommend some type of stabilizing ropes in
> >addition to the ground mount placed securely in concrete.  We used about 4
> >bags of concrete here to put my mount in.
> >
> >The antenna works great, but some have expressed concern about the
> >durability, and I think the issue is the height and the potential for
> >problems to arise from the antenna whipping in the wind.
> >
> >73, de Lou K2LKK
> >
> >, At 12:50 PM 8/16/2004 -0400, you wrote:
> > >I've been thinking about purchasing a Gap vertical for use on 20 through
> > >10.  I don't care about operating one on 80, although it might be
> > >interesting to alternate between my folded dipole and a vertical on
> > >40.  Based on the reviews I've seen, people seem to either love or
> hate Gap
> > >antennas, so before I buy one I'd like to hear your thoughts (good and
> bad)
> > >about yours.
> > >
> > >Steve
> >
> >Louis Kim Kline