From:
Don Bishop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 2004 21:31:24 -0700
This is really interesting.  Anyone else have comments on this?  Especially those who have used the b&w antennas.

Any other recommended alternatives besides maybe alpha delta and b & K?

A multiband antenna is certainly no replacement for a single-band antenna, but it doesn't seem you should have to pay too high a price in radiating
efficiency.

Don W6SMB

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 00:02:29 -0400, Bob Tinney wrote:

Hi Steve,

The B & W folded dipole antennas, as I understand them, use a very
innefficient broadband matching choke that absorbs lots of your transmitted
power.  That's what makes the antenna so quiet on receive.  But if you run
lots of power, the antenna's inefficiency can be overcome running a
reasonable swr.  I prefer a half wave dipole, but there are many good wire
antennas out there.
Bob Tinney, K8LR, [log in to unmask]