From:
Jerry Neufeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 2004 12:46:42 -0400
Good morning folks.

While I know this subject to have been discussed several times before on
this list, I would like to make a plug for an instrument that many of us
will surely find useful.

I am talking, of course, about remy Simard's talking s w r meter & watt
meter, usable for both hf and vhf bands. Remy is a retired electronics
technologist, living in Quebec, spending some of his leisure time in
constructing an instrument that, for the first time, allows us to hear s w r
readings spoken continuously as we make adjustments to antennas. Assuming a
good fifty ohm load, with the press of a button, the read-out changes to
power output in watts, accurate, I have found, to about five percent. The
device consists of four pieces, 1) the electronics and speaker plus controls
for the system, 2 & 3) an in-line small metalic box with coax connectors at
either end, one for hf, the other for vhf, 4) a small a-c to d-c power
module. Converting from Canadian to U.S. funds, the entire set, assuming one
would want both hf and vhf in-line units, would cost about $180. He makes 10
of these units at a time. If I raise this issue again here, I do so, not
just because of the utility of the s w r/watt talking meter but because of
my impression that Remy may soon tire of building these things. His design,
of course, might well be passable to someone else.

If any interest is expressed here, I'll forward a full description of the
instrument, already appearing once or twice here, I think.

Cheers,

Jerry, v e 3 q s o