From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 2004 08:54:30 -0400
Good, you can change the com port number very easy, Make sure your USB to
serial adapter is plugged in to the computer, then go to control panel,
then system,  then arrow to hardware, tab to  device manager, not device
manager driver signing, but just device manager, should be I think hit tab
trice, then arrow to ports com and LPT, hit alt +enter, now you should be in
the properties, now, you might have to shift tab, but anyway do that until
you hear it say general, arrow once to port settings, tab to advanced, enter
or space bar on that,  and then tab to port number, you can select any com
port you want from 1 to 256, if you pick a port number already in use it
will warn you and you'll just have to pick another one.  Hope that helps.
While I was explaining it to you I did it to make sure I wasn't missing
anything and that's how I do it with XP home.  I hope that helps, let me
know if not and I'll see what I can do to help farther, the USB adapter has,
and I do mean *HAS* to be plugged in when you do this or the port won't even
show up in the list.