From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 May 2004 22:38:23 -0400
Hi Anthony.

The truth is that it has been too long since I set that mic up, and there
are two switches on the mic, both set to the position closest to the back
of the mic, but I truthfully can't remember which switch is which, or
whether the mic is set for high or low impedance.  My rig is supposed to
work with either one, and in fact I do get fairly good performance out of
the mic.  I bought it from a ham who lived across town, who was using it
with a Kenwood TS-430S and didn't like the frequency response of the mic.

I should point out that my microphone is the MC-60, not the MC-60A.  The
difference is that the MC-60A has a preamp, and the MC-60 does not.  I had
a MC-60A when I first got my TS-690S, and had nothing but trouble with the
MC-60A (although I suspect my mic was actually defective, since the preamp
quit altogether after about a year).  I have had no trouble with the
MC-60--not even the complaint about RF getting into it, as some have
complained about with the MC-60A.  Moral of the story:  Simple is often better.

Anyway, I wanted to clear up that little difference between the mic that I
am using, and the MC-60A that everyone else was using.  The best part is
that because Bob really didn't like the mic or think that it was good for
anything, he sold it for $35--a steal, and it has served me well for 10
years now!

As for the comments about the Kenwood hand mic, I assume that we are
talking about the Kenwood MC-43S, and I truthfully have never had one of
those on any radio and not had it sound like garbage.  I'm with John on
this one!  Mine sits in the desk drawer in case I have an emergency need
for a Kenwood mic, but I dislike them so much that I wouldn't consider
using one except when another microphone breaks.

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 07:32 AM 5/21/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi Lou;
>
>Which way is the switch set when the impedance is set to high or low.

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK
Home e-mail:  [log in to unmask]
Work e-mail:  [log in to unmask]