Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 2004 18:59:25 -0400
Hi.

What makes the 220 MHz band so attractive for amateur radio activity is
that it enjoys a lot of the UHF characteristics for tropospheric ducting,
while suffering less from the line of sight limitations of UHF and the
tendency for things like scattering of signals by foliage.  I used to use
220 MHz on a 26 mile commute between Bergen, NY and Rochester, NY with very
good and consistent results.  It is also a little less susceptible to man
made noise sources than 2 meters, and does a better job of penetrating
buildings than 2 meters does.

It is really a much better band for ham radio activities than most people
give it credit for.  Its primary drawback is lack of equipment, and a lack
of users on the band--a reason why amateur radio's claim over this band is
very weak.  I'm afraid that if the FCC issued a Notice of Inquiry about
reallocating the band, I would be very hard pressed to find a reason why
they shouldn't.  This is my challenge to ham radio about this spectrum-Do
something meaningful with it, or expect to lose it.  Because the way it
looks to the rest of the radio industry when we use it like we have been
using it is that we don't need it.  So, "you know what" or get off the pot.

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 06:41 PM 6/14/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>Well, I would never know because of the inactivity there.  From 222-225 we
>have a few MPT-1327 trunking systems around here, but that's about it.  What
>makes it better then the other bands?

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK
Home e-mail:  [log in to unmask]