From:
Betsy Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Betsy Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 2004 00:51:37 -0500

Listmates,

There were a lot of responses related my post on Vinegar (Aug 5,
2004).  Please be reminded that my post focused on celiacs and not on
wheat allergy or yeast free diets.  I am not a chemist, or food
chemist, and used the Gluten-Free Living article as my source as it
was most convenient and easily retrievable at the time.  I have no
financial interest in the magazine or connections with Ann Whelan.

The responses can be categorized in three categories:

1.  Thank you for the post.
2.  Disbelievers/skeptics, wheat allergic & vinegar reactors,
including yeast free folks
3.  So what is the problem?  Why get caught up in the issue?

#1.  Needs no comment

#2.  The disbelievers/skeptics still question vinegar's safety and
feel that they have a gluten reaction.  Part I Distillation of
Vinegar/Alcohol should answer the questions about any or all of the
original source being transferred in the distillation process.
Disbelieving Listmates still call manufacturers to find out the
source of grain used for distilled vinegar in a food product.  This
is not necessary.  If the word, "vinegar," is used on the label by a
USA manufacturer it is cider vinegar and distilled vinegar is safe.
Fermented vinegars (as rice, cider, wine) are gluten-free.  Malt
vinegar is not and some flavored vinegars are not.  Any vinegar with
additives needs to be critically evaluated by the user.
    Those with wheat allergy need to look at the distillation process
and consult the food allergy folks.  Given the information on
distillation, it would appear that no other parts of the grain used
are transferred in the distillation process.
    Yes yeast-free folks have other guidelines and there may be some
yeast in the fermented alcohols.  Yeast, if present, is not
transferred in the distillation process.

#3.  Some essentially said what one listmate said, "relax and chill
out, its only vinegar."  Yes it is only vinegar, BUT vinegar seems to
occupy a great deal of our time and energy.  I would urge someone who
needs a project to consider reviewing the Archives and looking at the
number of times "vinegar" is addressed, questioned and/or summarized.
A number of sources, including some on the Internet, still have
cautions about vinegar.

As I said before, if you are one of those who reacts to vinegar for
other reasons, do not use it.  Please don't blame it on the presence
of gluten in the vinegar.

Betsy
Austin, Texas

Additional Resources:
+The American Dietetic Association (ADA) has released the 6th edition
of its Manual of Clinical Dietetics, which offers revised guidelines
for the treatment of celiac disease. This manual is currently used by
hospitals and doctors all over North America, and represents the most
up-to-date source of information with regard to the dietary treatment
of various illnesses. The new standards set in this publication
conform more closely with current international standards. Included
on their safe list are items that have been on Celiac.com's safe list
for over five years, including: amaranth, buckwheat, distilled
vinegar (no matter what its source), distilled alcoholic beverages
(including rum, gin, whiskey and vodka), millet, quinoa and teff.
 From celiac.com's list of foods to be avoided:
http://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=187&p_catid=12&sid=91hH9H0-mJsL8nL-40104020924.ec
+Shelley Case, Carol Fenster, and Danna Korn all address vinegar in
their recent books.  All conclude that distilled vinegar is safe.
Danna Korn notes that distilled vinegar is one of the ingredients
that has been questioned over time and "prompted more recounts than
the 2000 presidential election.....no matter how many times the votes
are counted the answer is always been the same:  There's no gluten in
distilled vinegar." (page 130 in Wheat-Free, Worry-Free).