From:
Kerri Griffith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kerri Griffith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 2004 18:43:33 -0700

Thanks to everyone for the very helpful responses. My
husband and I just returned from our trip and had a
wonderful experience. We ate at Austin Grill and
really enjoyed it. It was the most frequently
suggested restaurant and rightfully so. As a displaced
Texan it was nice to have Tex-Mex... the salsa was too
mild for me though.

In Williamsburg, we ate at The Trellis, a pretty
upscale restaurant. There's a notation on their menu
that says to let the chef know if you have any food
sensitivities. The food was tasty, but a little
pricey... mainly because of its location.

An even better restaurant in Williamsburg is The
Seafarer. It is pricey but WELL worth it. They do not
have a gluten-free menu, but our waiter and the chef
was very knowledgable and helpful. They do serve
breads before the meal, so you may want to let the
waiter know not to bring them as soon as you are
seated.

My husband didn't have a reaction all week, so we did
something right (I'm the gluten detective/SWAT team).

:) Kerri, SC

Here are the suggestions I received, all of which were
helpful:

1) Go to www.outback.com, www.carrabbas.com,
www.bonefishgrill.com. They are all owned by
Outback Steakhouse and have a gluten free menu and
location site on their web sites.

2) Definitely try Austin Grill in Old Town Alexandria
- the wait staff is familiar with the gf diet, but I
would download the gf menu from their website ahead of
time.  I think there is another Austin Grill in
Northern Va but I am familiar only with the one in Old
Town. www.austingrill.com

3) In Alexandria, try the Austin Grill which has great
tex-mex food and a gf menu available upon request from
the hostess. In Williamsburg try the Kyoto Steak house
- a japanese steak house. We called before we went
in, and they reserved a station just for us, and
prepared our meal with our own gf soy sauce.

4) Check the Archives, as there have been posts on the
Northern Virginia and DC areas.
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/celiac.html

In DC, Nora's, is an outstanding restaurant and
accommodates GF diets well. It is one of the very best
restaurants that I have been to. It is expensive as I
recall, but worth it.

5) Try going to www.goodhealthpublishing.com for a
list of 59 national/regional restaurants and their
lists of gluten/wheat free items. There's also a
gluten free dining card that can be presented to
restaurant personnel to ease the ordering process.

6) Check the "Virginia" branch of GIG on their
website:  www.gluten.net