From:
Mandy Kavanaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mandy Kavanaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 08:36:17 -0400

My original question was to plead for help in translating the ingredients on
a bag of Brazilian bread mix that appeared to be gluten free. Several people
responded who have used this brand with no problems. One Godsend translated
the entire package for me. I have put her translation first followed by the
Portuguese text. If you would like more information n ordering the bread you
can go to www.brazilianshop.com <http://www.brazilianshop.com/>  and type in
Yoki (the brand) in the search field. You will find Pao de Queijo on the 2nd
search page.

When I translated this, I noticed they have 2 different cheese flavoring
mixtures, as well as the real powdered cheese (so the somewhat identical
listing of ingredients in parentheses are probably the ingredient listings
of another manufacturer's cheese product that they are adding to their mix.)
I'm also not sure of a couple of terms - acidulant, used in conjuction with
citric acid, I think it probably means acidifier.  Also anihumectant, is a
chemical added to control the water from separating or whatever in the
package, it probably prevents caking.

Sweet tapioca flour, hydrogenated vegetable oil, whole powdered milk,
prepared mixture in romano cheese flavor (cheese, mixture of powdered milk,
vegetable oil, maltodextrin, salt, milk protein and flavorings), prepared
mixture in cheese flavor (mixture of milk, salt, maltodextrin, corn starch,
modified corn starch, powdered leavening (most likely they mean baking
powder) extract, sodium glutamate flavor enhancer, natural flavorings and
flavorings identical to the natural ones, phosphate tricalcium and silicon
dioxide as antihumectants (I believe this is to prevent condensation in the
package, or water separation), citric acid acidulant), salt, powdered
cheese.  Flavor enhancer:  monosodium glutamate.  Acidulant:  lactic acid.
Antioxidant:  BHT.

I think these are quite tasty, remember when you bake them, to roll them
into small balls, a bit smaller than golf balls.  They are nice and chewy
and cheesy inside when baked, kind of like little popover puff balls.  We
like to sometimes stir in herbs and garlic powder for an Italian style
flavor.  I also like to make them sweet, with just a bit of added sugar, and
roll them in coconut flakes before baking.

If you are for some reason concerned about the chemical additives, you can
also make these yourself from scratch (with far fewer ingredients.)  I don't
have my recipe with me, but I did locate one for you:
http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/getrecipe.zsp?id=68293
<http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/getrecipe.zsp?id=68293>   It sounds pretty
much like the one I've used - note that they say manioc, same as tapioca.
Put the contents of the packet into a medium-sized bowl and add 1/2 cup of
cold water and 2 eggs.

Mix it well until the liquid is absorbed.  Continue stirring until the dough
is smooth and homogeneous (all the same consistency.)

Make little balls and place them on the baking sheet, leaving space between
them so they can expand without touching.

Place into a pre-heated oven for 25 minutes or until the little breads are
golden-brown.  (It doesn't say what temperature, if it's not on your package
(in Celsius?  9/5C + 32 = F).  My recollection is about 325 - 350 degrees,
the recipezaar one I send you says 400, I think that's a little too hot.

Important:  The more you stir (or beat) the dough, the more the little
breads will rise!

If you prefer, use a revolving mixer.  Put the dough in the bowl, and start
on speed 1 (I assume this means low.)  Continue increasing the speed as the
liquid is absorbed by the dough.  Total mixing time:  4 minutes.

This product cannot be baked in a microwave oven!

Dicas means clues or tips, it's probably other ways to serve them, what to
eat with them, or baking hints?

By the way, I forgot to say, these make good pigs in blankets, too - I like
to brown a hot dog a bit first (I like them crispier) and then wrap the
dough mostly around them, with the ends sticking out.  And I had them made
by someone who made little sausage balls to stash in the middle once, too,
but I haven't done that myself.

Tips:

After baking, cut the Yoki Cheese Breads in half and make little sandwiches
with salted ham, cheese, luncheon meats, etc.

Also try filling them with caramel, guava paste, jams, etc.

To freeze, form the little breads according to the directions.  Place them
on an aluminum tray and put in freezer at -18 degrees C (about zero F), for
an hour.  After they're frozen, place them in a plastic bag and keep in the
freezer, maintaining the -18 C temperature, the product should be good for
about 30 days.

Mandy, I can't tell you about the source of the maltodextrin, unless we
contacted the manufacturer of the product to ask.  But I think that
maltodextrin is most commonly derived from corn.  Beyond that, I personally
rely on the testimony of my brother, who seems to react to most everything.
This brand seems to be fine for him.  If you are hyper-sensitive, then I'd
try the chebe or make your own.  I know that the chebe folks have made a
point of being GF.  But they're also more expensive, and you have to buy
your own cheese.  So I think these are worth trying, but you'll have to make
your own decision on that.  You're most welcome for the help.

INGREDIENTS:
Polviho doce, gordura vegetal hidrogrnada, leite em po integral, condimento
preparado sabor queijo romano (quijo, soro de leite em po, gordura vegetal,
maltodextrina, sal, protina lacteal e aromatizantes), condimanto preparado
sabor quijo (soro de leite, sal, maltodextrina, amido de milho, amido de
milho modificado, extrato de levedura em po, realcador de sabor glutamate de
sodic, substaricias aromatizantes naturais e identicas as naturais,
antiumectantes fosfato tricalicico e dioxide de silicio, acidulante acido
citrico) sal, queijo em po. Realcador de sabor: gutamato monossodico.
Acidulante: acido lactico. Antioxidante: BHT.

COOKING INSTRUCTIONS:
Coloque o conteudo do pacote numa vasilha de tamonho medio e acrescente 1/2
xicara de cha de agua fria e 2 ovos.

Misture bem ate que todo o liquido seja absorvido. CONTINUE SOVANDO ATE QUE
A MASSA FIQUE LISA E HOMOGENEA.

Faca bolinhas e coloque-as em uma forma deixando espaco entre elas para nao
grudarem.

Leve ao forno pre-aquecido por 25 minutos ou ate que os paezinhos fiquem
dourados.

IMPORTANTE:
Quanto mais sovar a massa melhor sera o crescimento dos paezinhos!

Se preferir, use batedeira planetaria. Coloque a massa, regule na velocidade
1 e ligue. Va aumentando a velocidade a medida que o  liquido for sendo
absorvido pela massa. Tempo total de batimento: 4 minutos.

Este produto nao pode ser assado em forno de microondas!

DICAS:
Depois de assar, corte p PAO DE QUIJO YOKI ao meio e faca pequenos sanuiches
com salaminho presunto, queijo, requeijao, etc.

Experimente tambem rechear com doce de leite, goiabada, geleias, etc.

Para congelar, modele os paezinhos conforme o Modo de Preparo. Coloque-os em
uma forma de aluminio e leve ao frrreezer a-18 (degrees) C, durante uma
hora. Apos o congelamento, embale em saco plastico e conserve no freezer.
Mantido a--18 (degrees)C, a validade do produto sera de aproximadamente 30
dias.

Mandy Kavanaugh
Ministry Assistant

Sherwood Baptist Church