Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 00:38:07 -0700

I'm grateful for folks being so promt and helpful.  Here are the portion of
shares that made the most sense to me.

Protein is not a living thing that can be kiilled with heat or a
disinfectant, like bacteria or a virus.  It's like a string of building
blocks...

Structure remains the same regardless of how hot it gets unless all of it is
burnt to elemental carbo--BLACK.  Most the the crispy pieces at the bottom
of the fryer are just very golden.  If they were burnt, the food would taste
burnt as well. Oil temperature are kept high enough to cook the food, but
not enough to burn.  As the oil bubbles, the microscopic pieces of breading
get stuck to the unbreaded food.

Bev in Milwaukee

Protein isn't like a "germ" that can be killed and destroyed by sterilizing
with heat. A protein is not like a virus or bacteria, but only a tiny part
of these living things. A protein is not necessarily alive at all, as I
understand it, just a building block of life, and its molecular structure is
what sets off the celiac reaction.

Distillation, which breaks down the protein's structure completely, however,
does destroy the danger of gluten proteins, which is why so many vinegars
and alcoholic liquids derived from gluten grains are safe for many celiacs.

Go figure. I hope the scientists weigh in with more detailed answers too.

GF in Baltimore
Bobbi

Allergic reactions (such gluten reaction) is not a matter of size of the
particles or quantities. In my case is enough for a very small amount of
gluten to have as bad reaction as eating big quantities. If I eat breaded
fish or chicken it will certainly cause a reaction. And the question is,
Why if that bread (big or small quantities) that was for such a long time
in the hot oil didnt change its moleculat composition in order to divide
the gluten proteins?. Well, probably is related to my past question,
Because it takes more than 24 hours to generate Gladine that will cause a
strong reaction in the immune system.

Recent studies found that the cause of the gluten intolerance is a 33
aminoacid complex. It is extremely big. The enzimes that would try to
break it need to be faster than the immune system that detects the
presence of gluten (this is in a natural way). The hot oil needs a lot of
chemical reactions in order to break that peptid.  Probably it will stay
there forever. I am not surprised if you have reactions from a
contaminated hot oil.

Roberto

The interesting thing about gliadin fractions is once they are in this
fraction form they will not dissolve in water or with alcohol that is 100%
pure. Most amino acids or fractions will dissolve in pure alcohol or pure
water. Gliadin doesn't. It is sticky, molecularly speaking. That's actually
one of the characteristics that makes it ideal for baking & making breads,
donuts, cakes, pastries, custards, gravies, etc, etc, etc.