From:
Deb Beausoleil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 19:48:26 EDT

Hello all,

Recently, I noticed that the breakfast cereal Captain Crunch was on the
gluten-free product list on the Delphi forum.  It contains oats, however.  I know
that oats have been controversial in the gluten-free diet.  I've stayed away
from oats but am really tempted to try the Captain Crunch cereal this coming
weekend - pre-diagnosis, it was my favorite sugared cereal.

I am highly sensitive to gluten.  Is there anyone else out there who is also
very sensitive to gluten but can tolerate Captain Crunch cereal?  I understand
there may be cross-contamination issues with it - but it's the oats
themselves that I'm worried about.  For me, it's one thing to be sick due to accidental
ingestion, usually a cross-contamination issue but it's quite another story
to be sick because something contained wheat, oats, rye or barley and I didn't
realize it.

For the oats issue - is it not considered a gluten allergen anymore?
Whenever I'd call companies to ask their status on a product, I'd explain celiac
sprue as not being able to tolerate wheat, oats, rye and barley.  Has there been a
definitive decision as to whether oats is bad for a celiac or is it still a
discussion?

Thanks, all.

Deb in Milwaukee