Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 19:05:32 EDT

Thanks to all who responded.  For the record, I did return to the
pediatrician who initially refused to test my children.  I thought I had convinced her to
test my 8 yr.- old.  She did have a blood test.  But when I inquired about
the results, was told "I never tested for celiac disease.  I only test the IGA
level"  Then the pediatrician refused to look at the handouts from American
Family Physician.  But I get the last laugh.  Our health care company does random
evaluations of appointments and I was asked to complete a survey of this
particular appointment. My next strategy is to request a follow-up with the GI doc
who diagnosed the 2 yr.-old and ask her to submit the request to test the
other kids.  And now to the responses.  Yes, as many say they have observed at
various functions, we are a tall bunch.

One child was off the growth chart on the low end. (I am using % as shorthand
for percentile.) 1 at 15%, 2 at 25%, 1 at 50 % and 11 at 80% or higher with
one more off the chart at the high end in both height and weight.  Several
reported disparities such as 10-40% in weight and 75% in height.
For those diagnosed as adults:
             Men        Height     Women
                    4'10''      1
                    4'11"       3
                    5'0"        1
                    5'1"        3
                    5'2"        9
                    5'3"        4
                    5'4"        9
                    5'5"        16
            2       5'6"        9
            1       5'7"        14
                    5'8"        14
            3       5'9"        14
            4       5'10"       11
            3       5'11"       11
            4       6'0"        2
            5       6'1"        1
                6         6'2"
                3       6'3"
                1         6'4"
                  3       6'5"
                1         6'7"
                1       6'8"
.
And the comments:
You might want to read the book "Dangerous Grains" ... or give
it to your doctor. A lot of people "react" to gluten but aren't
celiac ... the gluten can make them very, very sick and they STILL
won't show up as celiac on a blood test. I didn't get my kids
tested ... they went GF when I did, their leg pains and canker sores
went away and they are a lot happier.

A 1  yr. Old, described by doc as "too chunky" tested positive.
50 yr. Old woman told by doc she was "too old" to have celiac
From a man:  I am short.
A 5'6" man weighed 330 lbs. at time of Dx.  Now weighs 270.

A few years ago at one of the CD conferences a few of the attendees were
talking with Dr. Cynthia Ruddert (sp).  As I recall she mentioned that adult woman
with cd were generally taller than the average population.  You should
probably contact her to verify that I heard/remembered correctly.

Another approach you can take with the MD is to bring a few medical reports
to give him/her and point out that not everyone with cd has anemia, or
osteoporosis or.......  To imply that everyone with cd has to have short stature is
really missing the point.  This "you must have" (diarrhea or wasting
or.....-fill in anything here) will dog the medical community forever if they are not
willing to see the chameleon nature(as I think Dr. Fasano or someone referred to
cd) of cd.

My youngest son who showed all the classic symptoms was diagnosed.  He was so
small, he has grown so fast now that he is GF.  It is amazing!  However, our
oldest has been tall since birth.  He has always been off the charts.
However, he did experience
some GI symptoms on a regular basis.  Sure enough his diagnosis was confirmed
also.

Please tell your doctor that research literature publications have shown that
50% of people with CD have NO symptoms. My son had no symptoms either. He was
only tested because he was first diagnosed with diabetes.

I'm 5'11 (female) and my daughter (age 20) is 5'7. My other daughter (16)
is 5'2 and NOT celiac. So much for the short stature argument.

You need to take in a clinical study that was published in the Archives of
Internal Medicine in Feb. of 2003 which clearly shows that 60% of children with
celiac disease are asymptomatic (no symptoms at all) but yet damage is still
being done to their gut!
At age 3 when [my daughter] was diagnosed she was only in the 25th
percentile.  It was gastro symptoms that lead to CD testing not her size.  No one
considered 25th
percentile a problem when your mother is only 5'2".