From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jan 2004 02:44:03 -0800
  On some AT-style tower cases, the front panel power switch contols the
flow of 120v AC house current through the power supply.  I once left a
machine plugged in while replacing the power switch, and got quite an
impressive momentary arc between one of the leads and the case frame....
  (ATX front-panel power switches don't work this way, so most machines less
than about 8 years old are probably safe.)

David Gillett

On 30 Dec 2003 at 19:27, Dean Kiley wrote:

> I'd also like to add the following... the most power I've seen running
> through a mobo is 12v. The "big" power is locate inside the power supply and
> so far, all of those are quite well protected. Granted, 12v is more than
> enough to blanch lots of mobo components, but if you are as "novice" as you
> say, it only seems logical that you will be careful when sifting around
> inside the box to add a memory chip. As a quick precaution, grab onto the
> frame of the box before you touch any interior components, this will safely
> discharge any static that may have built up.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml