From:
Sara McGrath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 May 2004 22:52:15 -0700
Andrea,

I have to admit that I can't relate personally to your conflict since
Christianity didn't end up being a fit for me, but since I grew up with
it, I have thought about some related issues.

IMO, bread itself is just a symbol, as is most of what is written. It
don't think bread as the processed grain food that it is was meant to
be interpreted literally. Bread has historically been a staple food,
something people relied on for sustenence. It was important. It
symbolized life, survival, sharing, charity, etc. It was a miracle food
that could feed many more people than the surrounding wild game and
vegetation. Perhaps that is why it is described as having been
multiplied to feed the masses. Bread, being the staple food, created
mans' body, and so symbolized the body of the creator.

I hope my interpretations don't offend you. I do take your conflict
seriously. I hope you can come to peace about it.

If I was in a place similar to yours, I would wonder why I, my husband,
and my daughter are all gluten intolerant if bread itself is holy. Then
I would come to the conclusion I proposed above: that it could be any
food, so the literal food doesn't really matter.

-sara

http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/