BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Pamela S. Follett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Oct 2004 10:02:17 -0400
Speaking of prevailing rate, we have a concrete contractor in town who was
telling us she was bidding on her first prevailing rate job and was
flabbergasted at what she was going to have to bid/pay a kid 1-year out of
high school who's working for her only because he's 5 pounds too heavy to
get into the Air Force, and has been working as an apprentice for 2 months.
$35/hour she'd have to charge - she doesn't even charge that for her
husband's time and he's been in the business for years.  The kid knows he's
not worth anywhere near that much and has opted to take the day off with
pay.  She still makes out in the end because also her worker's comp rate
doesn't sky rocket for the one-day job.  I'm really glad I'm not in the
construction business.