Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:50:37 -0400
Well, the computer store is trying to generate extra money for itself.

A router is a device which allows you to share a connection on more than one
computer.  In most cases, you install the router between your cable or DSL
modem and the router then routes the packets to the appropriate computer.
This allows you to connect up to 253 computers on a home network with most
routers.  Since you only have one computer, you don't need a router.

As an additional protection, routers have built-in hardware firewalls.  But,
it's just one more thing to configure, in my opinion.  You can get similar
protection with a good software firewall.  Second, a firewall might keep
hackers from getting into your PC, but it affords no virus protection.

So, go figure!  My only guess is in the best case, the computer store
salesperson is uninformed; or in the worst case, they are trying to getmore
bucks from you and have given you erroneous advice in order to get it.

Steve, K8SP