From:
Ron Jobe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 May 2004 21:43:07 -0500
In my opinion...
I remember the SE440BX-2 as being the definition of dependability.  The
440BX chipset was extremely stable.  I would still prefer the 440BX over the
new 810 or 815 chipsets (which are not current anyway).  The board will
accept a Celeron, Pentium 2 or Pentium 3 cpu.  The original documentation
listed compatibility to 600 mhz, but I believe I've run a P3-800 on one
without any problem.  Maximum FSB was 100 mhz, so even though it will accept
some older PC133 memory, some of the newer SDRAMs are NOT backward
compatible .  Please check the Intel website for the latest motherboard
info.  Please check a name brand memory vendor for compatability (Crucial,
Kingston, etc).

I'd recommend a P3-600 for your criteria.  Its the fastest CPU which may not
need the BIOS upgraded.  Many people liked the Celeron 300A because they
could overclock it to a 450.  The one thing this board doesn't do well is
overclock.  The price difference between a 300 and 600 is about $20.  Prices
for faster CPUs go up much faster about the 600 as there were many fewer
made.  If you select a Celeron, make sure that it is has onboard cache.

Ron Jobe