From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 2004 12:41:13 -0600
> fruis like figs pomegranate ,dates , olives  obviouslly in the
mediterranean
> basin will have been favorised very early but you don't have to till the
> ground to duplicate  those and veggies it is too much work in comparaison
of
> harvesting wild greens .

Hmmm.

I have a number of fruit trees, berry bushes, and other "permanent" food
plants on my property. I had to plant them *once, and they have provided
lots of fruit and berries over the years - without my having to do much of
anything. I suspect that's somewhat easier than having to go out and gather
the same in the wild. If a primitive discovered he could plant, either by
seed or by cloning (cuttings), a foodcrop right outside his "cave", I
suspect he would so so in a second. Advantages would include not having to
go out into the wild to get it (safety), as well as keeping competitors
from eating his food.

You mention wild greens. I have found lettuces all over my property. I did
not plant them there - they are obvious volunteers, helped along by little
critters and perhaps the wind. With greens a little seed goes a long, long
way. Primitives would have observed this as well.

> figs  dates , olives , nuts can be stored so easelly that your reasonning
> doesn't hold water .

Obviously, we have to consider degrees here. First, I doubt enough figs,
dates, olives, and nuts can be grown in a given area to support a large
population base. Grains can. Second, grains (seeds) can be stored for
*years* and used during times of famine/shortage without losing much of
their (admittedly lacking) nutitional value. I have my doubts about your
list other than the nuts.

> it is possible that grains have been domesticated first
> to attract wild games around the village or to domesticate animals

That sounds reasonable. Interesting theory.

> .still their addictives properties

I don't dispute the addictive nature of grains (although I can't say it
applies to me - I've never "craved" bread or other grains). My contention
is that that's not "the reason" grains came to dominate agriculture. I
beleive their utility was.

> humans too even when told that their health misery is directly linked to
> their consomation and they knows it is true , they will rather indure the
> symptoms than quitting them .

To some extent, yes. But, there are other factors involved as well - like
convenience, lack of substitutes, habit, etc. My mother could not prepare a
meal without having dinner rolls on the table. I never ate them because I
found them to be boring, flavorless, and reduced the number of other more
enjoyable foods I could eat at that meal. Eventually, she figured out that
the rolls she prepared with me in mind went to waste, so she reduced the
number. But, she never eliminated them completely. Habit.