From:
Eva Hedin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 2004 22:19:34 +0200
> But this is at best an example of micro-evolution, a minor change in
I think it is quite ordinary evolution. We have all learned what is best to
do from our mother or parents or elders and both the ducklings and the
kittens have learned from their mother not to go close to certain things.
Traffic in this example.
I have done this myself with one of my cats. I wanted to make sure he was
really scared of cars so when the dustbin lorry came I stood there by the
dust bin with my cat who was about 10 weeks old and when the lorry came I
ran away into our garden as fast as I could. The kitten followed and he is
still very worried about cars which means he roams ours and our neighbours
gardens but seldom goes out into the street.
I took the place of the cat mother and the only thing he needed to know was
that I was scared of the lorry. All young have this ability to go by the
parents judgement of dangers. I applies to food as well. What you can take
from your mothers plate or fingers or mouth, is safe to eat - not because it
is safe but because it is from your mother.
Well, sort of!

Eva

Utan tvivel är man inte riktigt klok.
Without doubt one is not quite sane