From:
Eva Hedin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 12:30:37 +0100
> Eva, the HbA1c is not usually part of the panel here unless a person is
> diabetic.  Are you diabetic?
No, I just said I wanted the test done. We don't have it in the family
either. I was experiencing hypoglycemia though.

We have something called light beer here in Sweden with low alcohol. It is
usually included in the price when you eat out for lunch. In my pre paleo
time I went out for lunch now and then. Being naturally greedy I always took
one of those beer bottles. Strange as it was I could hardly stay awake early
in the afternoon. I was drooping like a tulip without water. If I took a
stronger beer or some wine this did not happen. Some one laughed at me and
said it must be something with my blood sugar. That's how I got interested
in blood sugar and insulin. I remember reading an explanation to why one
gets so tired and it was something with high proportion of malt sugar -
higher than in beer with high alcohol.

>Is this blood test always done in Sweden?

I don't know if they take them usually but as I said, last year when I did
this first time I was interested in all sorts of tests that could have
anything to do with paleofood so I asked for it. Many Swedish doctors would
give you the tests you ask for and everything is payed for by the general
insurance here.

>  Mine was 5-point-low-number (maybe 5.3 or 5.1), but was
> well within our reference range.  I wonder if we have different reference
> ranges altogether or whether the health authorities in your country have
> estabished a  lower "upper limit" than what we have.

I seem to remember that WHO wanted to lower it for asian people but I don't
know if they did. I think we may have different limits. Your limits are
within the Swedish limits anyway.

> At the time, the only exception to paleo eating that I was making was
> coffee, some cream to go in the coffee,

Dairies affects insulin levels quite a lot. I use a little milk in my coffee
but don't use much coffee. Just some in the morning. I can live happily
without coffee if I chose to.

> in hearing about others' experience with paleo eating and HbA1c tests.
>
> Theola

Eva