NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Christine Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 10:05:26 -0700
Hello List,
Regarding the messages about children going back to school with milk allergy: The 504 provision applies to any student enrolled in public school.  I am not aware of kids' rights in private schools.  I am in teacher preparation and almost have a state teaching certificate.  Any child with a diagnosed disability (a loose term in some cases--food allergy could count) should have a 504 plan on file with the school.  The plan can include any relevant accommodations (you and your doctor can decide and advocate for what these may be), a brief description of the condition as well as a treatment and EMERGENCY plan.  From what I've seen, the emergency part of the plan should be VERY specific and approved by your doctor.  These plans are kept on file at the school where teachers, nurses, and other staff can access them.  Accommodations may depend on available resources but you should at least be able to meet with school staff and discuss appropriate options.
Good luck!!!
Christy
Seattle, WA