BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

BP - Telepathic chickenf leave no tracef. Turkey lurky goo-bye!
Date:
Sat, 16 May 1998 00:27:04 EDT
Subj:    Re: Grocery store development
Date:   5/15/98 2:38:41 PM EST
From:   [log in to unmask] (Clovewellr)
Sender: [log in to unmask]
To:     [log in to unmask]

Does anyone know of some innovative, sensitive grocery store developments in a
historic urban/residential area?  There are plans to place a 66,000 sf
suburban box of a grocery store on our historic St. Charles Avenue here in New
Orleans.  This part of St. Charles is considered blighted, although it retains
many early 20th century commercial structures and a few late19th century
residences.  Unfortunately, this section of St. Charles is not under local
historic district jurisdiction and several local politicians have jumped on
the political bandwagon promoting it before community imput has seen the light
of day.

The developer says that parking in the back simply "will not work" and thus
are planning to give it a setback consistant with suburban design practices.
Not only do they not have to build such a large store, they are making no
design efforts to retain the current pedestrian-friendly urban environment.
The development will force the closing of a major street which runs parallel
to St. Charles, increasing traffic on this already burdened street and
disrupting the traditional street grid pattern.  And not surprisingly, at
least eight historic buildings will be demolished, several of them occupied by
homeowners.

I would like to find some excellent examples of grocery stores that have
provided economic revitalization without destroying the urban fabric of their
neighborhoods.  The best studies would provide numbers demonstrating that more
is not always best and that good design can benefit everybody.

Please let me know of such developments and I will research them further.

Chase L. Robertson   [log in to unmask]
Preservation Consultant
New Orleans, LA