From:
Darrell Shandrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 2004 15:09:30 -0700
Hi all,

OK.  My portable, apartment QRP station is up and running, well, sort of...
I have the Icom IC-703 running with the Outbacker Joey antenna.  The
Outbacker is wonderfully accessible; just change the band tap plug to change
bands, but, well, that's about all I can say for it...  While I can receive
some signals on HF, I am essentially unable to transmit.  Oh, yes, I can get
a decent SWR, especially when I use my rig's auto antenna tuner, but I can't
even work a fellow ham three miles away.

Does anyone have any ideas of a better antenna that can be assembled and
tuned without the need of sight?  I am specifically thinking about either
the Super Antennas MP-1 or even a Buddipole.  The Buddipole looks like it
might even provide some real performance, while the MP-1 looks like it might
provide a little better performance than my existing Outbacker Joey.  Any
ideas are welcome.  I really want to get on the air and make some actual
QSOs, but I'm reaching the end of my budget for experimenting to get this
done...  My next move really needs to count for something...  :-)

Thanks and 73.