Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 10:06:07 -0600

I was once told that there are 2 ways to eat gluten-free:

1) Read the label - if it looks GF or says GF - then it's most likely safe -
you might want to phone to be absolutely sure, or you might watch for a
reaction. This method works if you're not too sensitive.

2) Contact every company, ask lots of questions, allow no possible traces of
gluten, be paranoid, question everything that goes in your mouth.

In our home, we follow the second way. We phone every manufacturer to
confirm. If they make any gluten-containing product on the same line, or, if
they use any wheat flour in the same facility, we almost always choose not
to eat the product.

For example, I recently called Club House-McCormack about a package of rice
flour, labelled Gluten-Free. The rep told me their rice flour is ground
"somewhere else", and she didn't know where that was. She told me they only
"bag/package" the flour. It comes in huge bags. They also "bag/package"
wheat flour in the same facility. Personally, I don't necessarily consider
that to be absolutely "Gluten-Free".

As the rep was unable to tell me about their cleaning procedures, and
whether or not the wheat flour was being bagged at the same time as the rice
flour, and she didn't seem too interested in finding out these answers for
me, I decided to report the incident to the CFIA - Canadian Food Inspection
Agency. They are currently investigating.

So, my question is, when I look at GF product lists on the internet, or when
people post to say 'this or that' product is gluten free, what should I
expect?

Janice.