From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 2004 22:24:04 -0500
Yes, it was on 7 inch reels at 3 and 3/4 ips speed.

They were two track, and were originally read by the Telephone Pioneers, and
produced by Science for the Blind. The recording division later became
Recorded Periodicals.

The first issue of QST I ever read was January, 1967, which I received in
early summer of that year from Science. I remember that it contained an
article about a new way to tune a Swan 350 transceiver. My Elmer, and later
I too, had a Swan 500. Talk about a big time rig!

The tapes were shipped in reversible cardboard mailers, king size versions
of the cassette mailers which Tom Carten uses for World Radio. Some of them
had no straps, and had to be re-fastened with new tape each time they were
mailed.

I had an old Voice of Music recorder which had no fast forward. Therefore, I
had to read the entire track.

While I learned a lot that I would have otherwise skipped, there was also
some pretty dull stuff there for a 12-year-old!