BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 07:29:08 -0600
Ralph,

Reply problems again.

To critique Wright's work constricted to chronological order is too
limiting.  His work is more complex than that.  There are the drawings,
the engineering, the odd interpretations of the American family,
materials, the very large (even for an architect) spheres, and the
absolute, unquestioning loyalty of his associates.  He is the only
architect so well known and loved by the American public.  That's got
to mean something, although I am uncertain as to what it means.

I like White's work, a lot.  But, times have changed, and it is more
unexpected now to design like White than like Wright, and behaving like
either of them is passé', if not gauche.

However, I don't want to mislead you.  I respect the work of the top
tier of well known architects of the first three quarters or so of the
20th century, but if I have favorites, they are a lesser known group.
I like the work of folks who worked for city, state and federal
government agencies, and the architects who made their living serving
the needs of regional markets.  For me the real test of the power of an
architectural idea is how compelling it is in the hands of men and
women who actually earn their daily bread designing, building and
repairing architecture.

Excuse me, I have to go collect some crumbs that have fallen through
the floor boards.

-jc