BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pre-patinated plastic glass block w/ coin slots <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 05:42:40 -0400
>     Not sure.  I have very little information, I'm just trying to be
>     helpful...like Ralph.
>
> *All I know is that the Europeans, and the Krauts in particular, set
> cobblestones in a really neat, fan-shaped pattern, and they don't seem
> to have done it that way here in the olden days.  *
> **

Here we have fewer ideas? Experience depends on if anybody here has ever
worked for a European landscape mason. Been there, done that in the DC
area, and not too interested in doing it again as it is hell on the
knees and the back.

> * I don't know that anybody in NYC has ever actually restored any
> cobblestone streets*

They are rebuilding or building new cobblestone streets & sidewalks over
near the Hudson River Park, and not too long back they were doing it in
places like the Cast Iron District & Tribeca. As to restoring them that
is a different set of questions if you mean fixing existing historic
fabric in situ. Generally the deal is wholesale rip up and replace. I
don't know who the architects or contractors are on these projects. The
streets have to meet DOT standards.

][<