BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cuyler Page <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pre-patinated plastic glass block w/ coin slots <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 2004 19:06:23 -0700
Potential HP projects linking museums with bunkers:

Here in the inland desert, I use a 5,000 sq ft WW2 navy ammunition bunker as
the artefact warehouse for the museum I curate.   It was part of a huge
ammunition storage complex built to provide an inland back-up supply point
in case the coast was invaded and lost.   The place looks a lot like Sampson
AF/Navy Base near Geneva, NY with earth bermed bunkers lined up for half a
mile.

To resolve a major debate at the museum about the appropriateness of the
place for artefact storage (some who had never visited it thought that being
underground it must be full of worms and snakes), I brought in a consultant
from the Canadian Conservation Institute who specializes in artefact
storage, often employed around the world for his advice.   He was excited
about the natural high quality atmosphere for storage there, with no windows
for UV, and very even temperature and humidity because of the earth berms to
the roof.  He was also intrigued with how only a few inexpensive alterations
were needed to upgrade the facility for museum artefact use, mostly an
enclosed vestibule with double doors to prevent temperature shifts.   He
said is was a "marriage made in Heaven" because there are so many museums
really stuck for affordable storage space, and so many publicly owned empty
left over bunkers all across the continent looking for either demolition or
suitable clients.   All that is needed is for the idea for be facilitated.
Museum society and bunker society are not yet talking together.

If you know a bunker and know a museum, maybe there is a job to be had, be
it restoration, renovation or rehabilitation.

cp in bunkerland
(no, Ralph, this is not a lot of bunk)