BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cuyler Page <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Easy bent lead pipe.
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 10:09:33 -0700
> Embrace preservation, reject conservation, or move to Canada!

- where we move so much more slowly that it only looks like conservation.

Hurrah for "The Art of Controlled Decay" as our museum folk call Artefact
Conservation.

Of course the "conservation" link with tree frogs is very strong as a
publicly understandable marketing tool for promoting cultural heritage.
Saving whales and tree forests came first, and any 2nd grader here will now
strongly support that.   Heritage gardening, a green thing, took off here
like a wild fire while building preservation languishes as a frill for the
rich.   Perhaps we would do better to market the craft with a link to moss
and ivy.   Actually, I recall a course I once took with a European cathedral
stone mason at the Institute for Advanced Studies at York, in which he spent
a lot of time discussing the preservation value of leaving moss in crevasses
as a water shedder and material bonder and in certain situations.

Unfortunately, "Cultural Heritage" now mostly means anything foreign.   I am
starting a movement to preserve and celebrate my happy white middle class
North American upbringing and heritage to be able to participate as an equal
at Multi-Cultural events where until now there has been no place for a white
guy except as a visitor, spectator and buyer, actually, the same old
colonial stance just brought forward into modern political correctness.

cp in bc
just over the line