From:
Kathy Mead <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kathy Mead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 18:07:23 -0700

  The following was my original question.
  "What is the difference between Flavoring and Natural Flavoring".  What is it that celiacs have to watch out for in regards to the flavoring/natural flavors. As always, read the following and decide for yourself what is right for you.  Thank you to the many that responded, it was much appreciated.

  The answers received are below:
  Some flavorings are made out of totally artificial ingredients, pure man-made chemicals.
  Natural flavorings are made out of base of some natural things like corn or wheat or barley.  That's why celiacs have to be so careful with natural flavorings.   They may contain the dreaded wheat, oats, rye, or barley.  Artificial flavorings are sometime problematic simply because they can be harder to digest because, of course, they're totally artificial.

  I believe that in her new book, Shelly Case says that in the US, we do not have to worry about either of these.  Please check the archives to verify.

  You can't trust either of those labelings!

  So far as I have heard, the issue is usually natural flavoring versus artificial flavoring. Supposedly artificial flavoring is okay for celiacs, but then again, I often wonder what artificial flavoring is made from...Natural flavoring is the one we celiacs really need to AVOID. This is because wheat (read gluten) is considered a "natural" source and many flavorings are made from wheat derivatives.

  got to the bottom of this page, i think it says there:
  http://www.celiacdiseasecenter.columbia.edu/A_Patients/A05-Nutrition.htm

  The reason celiacs need to be careful is because with both of these names we do not know what it really is.  Which means it may be something that contains gluten or it may not.

  its the source...flavorings can be purely chemical...Natural flavorings are made from natural flavors....never trust chemicals

  Flavoring is added and natural is already in it, but I can be wrong.

  Natural flavorings must be from nature, not from the chemist's lab--just flavoring could be either natural or artifical. What we have to watch out for is  the wheat, barely, and rye are all natural--and hence can be hidden in there.  Although on the whole natural flavorings are fine.