Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 22:19:41 +0000

Friends.

I read on the Heineken web site, where they claim they are a gluten free
beer since their tests show them to be below the european test limit.

From their web page:

Does Heineken use additives in its brewing process?

Heineken is brewed in a natural brewing process, with no additives. Its
ingredients are water, barley malt, hops, and the unique Heineken A-yeast
for the fermentation in the brewing process (as you may know, these are the
ingredients allowed by the Reinheitsgebot).

Does Heineken beer contain any gluten?

No, with only very few exceptions. We do not use wheat as an ingredient,
and our beer therefore contains no gluten. The exceptions are specialty
beers, one of which is Heineken Tarwebok (the word 'tarwe' means 'wheat' in
Dutch). What brands are part of Heineken's portfolio?

(End of web page material.)

It is clear they use barley malt. They also appear to think gluten is only
in barley.

So I wrote them an email and they indicated they test below the European
test limit.......

So I gave it a try and drank on pint of Heineken. My results were clearly
bad. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this? Comments?

Joe