From:
Frances Kelley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Frances Kelley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 2004 22:10:52 -0500

This exceeded the maximum length.  So,  I had to break it into 2 parts

Thank you for all your camping food suggestions.  Just to recap, a few
weeks ago I posted that my husband and celiac daughter were attending a
Dads & Kids neighborhood camp out.  Since we really are not campers I was
looking for suggestions for GF camp foods.  Well there were a lot of people
with great camping experiences.

Most of the suggestions can be summarized as follows:

·       Anything on a stick
·       Do not forget som’ores.  Either substitute a GF cookie or cracker
for the graham cracker, do without the cracker or cook it in tin foil with
a banana.
·       Unknown to me, it apparently makes a difference if you cook over a
fire, on coals or have a camping stove.
·       There were a lot of great suggestions about cooking a whole meal in
foil.
·       There were the usual suspects, GF cereal, eggs, GF trail mix,
fruit, hot dogs and hamburgers without the buns etc.
·       A really cool suggestion was a boil in the bag omelet.  Boil a big
pot of water, put the egg or eggs and fixings into a freezer bag and boil it.
·       Bring your own utensils and pots and pans to avoid cross contamination.

The text of the messages is below.

Thank you to everyone for all your great tips.

Francie Kelley
Austin, TX

Hotdogs on sticks are great. Or if they have the little fold over thing for
the fire you can put tin foil down and cook chicken and put safe BBQ sauce
and a little pot of beans. Bush has good safe beans that my family has done
well with. Cook potatoes in the coals for homefries and eggs in the morning
or cold cereal.

P.s. marshmallows are a must

*****

Jiffy pop popcorn that comes in a foil "pan" that you shake and pop over a
fire.  Watermelons travel well.

*****

When- camping overnight and cooking over a fire in girl scouts, we took
small pots and pans for individual use. I remember frying an egg in my pan.
Then, there are hot dogs without the bun - (put on a stick or long utensil
to cook over the fire), raw carrot sticks, and raw fruit. For so'mores, my
family uses gf cookies instead of graham crackers. There are some that
taste more like butter cookies, and they make good so'mores. So, I would
suggest that your daughter and your husband just cook their food together
in their own separate pans and let the togetherness be in the fellowship of
cooking alongside and eating with the other campers.

*****

Make sure to get some mock grahams from Kinikinnick or another source so
that they will be able to make smores at campfire time!

How about Dinty Moore Stew

*****

-GF hotdogs can be roasted on a sick over the campfire (no cross
contamination, and eating it off the stick is "cool"
-Most marshmallows are GF (Kraft labels all gluten clearly)
-Hormel has GF Pepperoni that is in a small package that doesn't need to be
refrigerated
-Fantastic Foods and Spice Hunter has several potato, rice, bean and chili
cups that only need hot water added, & don't need can openers
-Trail mix with nuts, raisins and GF choc chips are great for snacking.

*****

Quaker Oats has a new line of rice snacks out called Quakes. Found them by
accident in the grocery store. They're packaged like potato chips, cheese
curls, etc. BTW, potato chips and cheese curls - look at labels - are OK
(at least I can eat them). You can always make chip/veggie dip with GF sour
cream (Daisy is OK, also others), cream cheese, and onion soup mix. There
are GF marshmallows to roast. Re cross contamination, your husband may need
to "volunteer" to help with the cooking to ensure this. It's a good
opportunity to educate the other kids and their parents about the need to
guard against cross contamination as well, and to learn what kinds of foods
are OK for everybody to eat - that GF does not mean deprivation (except for
hamburg and hot dog buns).

*****

I don't know if they are cooking over a fire but one of the traditional
camp foods is sa-mores. I found that making my own grahm crackers to take
solved the problem of not being able to join in the fun. I have tried a
variety of flour mixes and all work okay but this one using mesquite has
more flavors. Here is a recipe that I think is really good:

UN-gram Crackers

Try these great after school treat or make old fashioned Sa-mores with
these crackers

1 cup Ruby Range Baking Mix with Mesquite Flour www.therubyrange.com
1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
2 T butter
1/4 cup milk
Roll out to ¼ inch thick

Preheat oven to 400
Bake for 20 min or until slightly brown

*****

Two snacks that I like are Pumpkorn (Original) which is GF and on several
lists. Shelley Case has it on her list as I recall.  Available at Central
Market (near nuts across from Deli meats) and at REI. The other snack that
I like is Alpine Aire Foods' Wild Rice Crunch. It is toasted wild rice with
fruit flavored nuggets. The website has a GF list and there are a variety
of foods. I get the Wild Rice Crunch at REI.
http://www.aa-oods.com/instant.cfm?insName=3

At Central Market they have the little dried/baked cheese rounds in small
packets. All flavors are GF. They are with the low carb foods.  REI has a
lot of packaged camping foodstuff. Most is not GF. I was curious last fall
and read labels and talked to them. I checked out the most likely
site--Backcountry. I will double check my post to the list from November
and send it separately, since it got "lost" on my computer. REI only had a
couple of their things. They do have a mail order option on line.

*****

This was an old post forwarded:

FYI. I was browsing at my local REI store recently and wondered if some of
the prepackaged meals, soups, and so on were gluten-free. Obviously many of
them were not. The best possibility seemed to be Backcountry Food. I am
always looking for portable gf items and there are regular posts about
items for school, office, or camping.  At http://www.backcountryfood.org
the food product ingredient list has information related to the product's
status as vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free as they apply. This can be
read with each individual item or from the PDF product listing. One
breakfast item is gf, along with other items--beans, soups, and meals. Look
for them at
your camping stores or order online.

*****