Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Mary Welsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 2004 22:37:14 -0500

I'm interested in anyone who has tested POSITIVE for either ATPO or TPO
(antithyroid peroxidase antibodies) or ATG (anti thyroglobulin antibodies),
or both, while testing in the NORMAL ranges for the other thyroid tests,
TSH, Free T3, Free T4, etc.)

  My TSH and other regular thyroid tests (free T3, free T4, etc) have
always tested normal.

  However, I have recently come across information linking antithyroid
antibodies to celiac disease.  (To find this info, do a web search
using "thyroid antibodies and celiac").  According to the research, these
antibodies usually disappear after a person has been gluten free for some
time.  These antibodies are present in those who test NORMAL on the other
thyroid tests.  I know tha
t thyroid problems are common in those with
celiac disease, from reading the posts here and searching the archives.

  I have also come across the same information about those experiencing
Chronic Fatigue Immune Deficiency Syndrome (CFIDS).  One doctor puts the
number of those with CFIDS who are hypothyroid at 65%.  This same doctor
says that over half of these patients test NORMAL on TSH, etc, so they are
tested for the antibodies, and they do a TRH test on these patients.

  I have experienced SEVERE fatigue for almost 14 years, since I was 29.
Like my doc said, if it was cancer I'd be dead by now.  It is NOT from
stress.  I have been diagnosed with celiac (age 39), hughes syndrome
(antiphospholipid antibody syndrome)(age 41), and possible Raynauds (20
something).  All these are autoimmune diseases.  Docs have ruled out MS,
and other likely causes of fatigue.  I've been through C
AT scans, MRIs,
lumbar puncture, neuro exams, and more blood draws than I care to
remember.

  I am negative for Rheumatoid Factor.  My B12 and Folic Acid Levels have
both tested high.  I asked for the MMA test, which shows the amount of B12
in tissues.  This was normal.  (Side note on the MMA- you can have high
blood levels of B12, but the amount in the tissues available for use by the
body can still be low.)  My ferritin levels are fine.  ACE levels are
normal.  All other blood work is normal.  I recently tested positive for
ANA (antinuclear antibodies) at 1:1280.  I see a rheumatologist in June to
rule out SLE (lupus).  Based on research, I don't believe I fit the
criteria for that either.  I have tested positive for PAST infection with
EBV (Epstein Barr virus), but had the fatigue 7 years prior to getting the
EBV infection.  Numerous Lyme tests have been negative.  I have been to a