Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 14:57:55 -0400

Many thanks to all who responded!

It seems that lots of people consider the GF and low carb/Atkins diets to be very compatible.  We know more than most people about what is in food and how to restrict what we eat!  In fact, several people informed me that the Atkins diet is virtually identical to the "diabetic" diet proposed some thirty years ago.

Several people also said that starting Atkins was how they realized that they were gluten intolerant, because they felt SO much better on the diet that it compelled them to further explore their health concerns.  In the same vein of thought, some people mentioned that Atkins was helping them to eat out more these days, as low-carb foods are often devoid of buns/breading.

Otherwise, suggestions included:

-Read Dr. Atkins book and research the diet thoroughly
-Explore low-carb "cravings" recipes to help you with get over the induction phase (I can email these as needed; they were extensive)
-Several people cautioned against Atkins products, as they deem a product gluten-free by measuring gluten in ppm--a method not necessarily within acceptable bounds for sensitive Celiacs
-The vast MAJORITY of people said not to use the bars or shakes from Atkins, to just stick to natural/whole foods like meats and vegetables.  One person recommended the book "Nourishing Traditions" to help with healthy eating.
-One person recommended the South Beach diet instead
-One person recommended trying Weight Watchers first
-The Gluten-Free Pantry sent me an email saying that they now carry low-carb products (guess they monitor our listerv ;)  )
-Chain restaurants recommended included TGI Fridays, Chilli's, and Hardee's for low-carb options

Overall, I'm going to think about this one a little more and do some additional research.

Thank you again for all the suggestions.
Jessica in WI