From:
Carolyn Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carolyn Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 2004 13:30:56 -0700

Tribune - Sept 2, 2004

The People's Pharmacy
Joe and Teresa Graedon

Q:  My husband had bypass surgery five years ago, and last year he had
two stents put in.  The heart doctor asked if he was taking vitamin E.
We said he'd taken it for years, and the doctor said to stop.  He claims
studies show it is bad for the heart.  Is this true?

A:  We don't know of any evidence that vitamin E is bad for the heart,
but most research suggests it is not helpful, either.  A study published
in he Archives of Internal Medicine (July 26, 2004) analyzed data from
seven studies involving more than 100,000 people.  The scientists
concluded that vitamin E neither benefits nor harms the heart.

Q:  I like to drink about four cups of tea in the morning.  I have
hypertension, and I am taking atenolol for this.  My blood sugar is also
a little bit high.  Will drinking tea affect my blood pressure and blood
sugar?

A:  A cup of black tea has about 40 or 50 mg of caffeine, depending on
how long it steeps.  So in your four cups you are getting roughly 160 to
200 mg, perhaps as much as two cups of coffee.

Recent research suggests that consuming green or oolong tea (which
contain less caffeine than black tea) might help prevent high blood
pressure (Archives of Internal Medicine, July 26, 2004).  In general,
however, caffeine can raise blood pressure somewhat especially if a
person is also under stress.

Another study shows that caffeine on an empty stomach does not have an
impact on blood sugar, but taken with a meal caffeine can raise blood
sugar and insulin levels in type 2 diabetics (Diabetes Care, August
2004)

-end of quote-

BTW, if you do a google search on:  Vitamin E   bleeding       you will
find lots of info.  I posted about this topic previously.