From:
Carolyn Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carolyn Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 20:58:07 -0700

I don't want to go overboard on this Vitamin E thing, but I received a
book today:  The World's Greatest Treasury of Health Secrets from the
editors of the Bottom Line Publications.  Once in a while I have a weak
moment and order one of these books.  Vitamin E. is mentioned quite a
few times by different doctors.  I am tempted to write the doctors
names, title, books, etc. but that will take too much time.   I will try
to hit the high points.

Mangoes contain vit C, E and beta carotene.
Sweet potatoes loaded with C, beta carotene and E - one or two with or
without the skin almost meets the RDA for all 3 nutrients.

Good sources of vit E include whole grains, seeds and vegetable
oils.recommends 200 IU of E

There is little risk in taking vitamin E---and there is much evidence
that it prevents disease.  Supplements between 100 IU and 400 IU daily
are advisable.  It's almost impossible to get enough vit E from a
low-fat diet.  Richest dietary sources veggie oils and nuts.

Vitamin E protects the lungs.  In a study, the more of this antioxidant
vitamin elderly people consumed, the better their lung function.
Caution:  Researches don't yet know exactly how much vit E is needed to
improve lung function or if it is more beneficial when consumed in
supplement form or in food.  Sources: nuts, fresh veggies and veg oil

READ THIS ONE!
Vitamin E, Aspirin and stroke connection:  Aspirin's proven antistroke
power is multiplied when it is taken with vit E.  A study of 100 people
who had suffered mini strokes, often a precursor of major strokes, found
that taking vit E daily together with aspirin produced a reduction of up
to 80% compared with aspirin alone, in the number of anchor strands that
enable dangerous clots to form in blood vessels.

Vit E doesn't help cuts and bruises heal faster.

Vit E may help slow the effects of aging on the brain and immune system.
The equivalent human dosage of vit E that was found effective in mice is
about 400 IU a day.  Caution:  Moe than 1,000 IU a day of vit E may be
dangerous

One Dr.:  "I tell my patients to take a daily supplement containing 400
IU of natural vit E (D-alpha tocopherol)  Natural vit  E is absorbed
more efficiently than synthetic vit E.

Vit C and E are the only vit proven to be beneficial to the skin.  I
recommend taking 1,000 mg C and 88 IU of vit E daily. No evidence that
rubbing it on the skin does any good.

Cataracts:  Tell patients to take a daily supplement 400 IU of E and 500
mg of VitC