From:
A S Levario <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
A S Levario <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2004 17:58:29 -0400

Yesterday,  Secretary of HHS, Tommy Thompson, sent a letter to House
Speaker Dennis Hastert about S. 741, requesting the House 'move
expeditiously to adopt this legislation'  A similar letter was sent to
Rep. Joe Barton, Chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee
(the Committee where the bill is awaiting action).

The letter states that the top 8 allergens account for 90 percent of
food allergic reactions.  It goes on to say the changes in labeling
will be particularly beneficial to 'children who must learn to
recognize the presence of substances they must avoid.'  Secretary
Thompson also notes that enactment of the bill would help reduce the
number of deaths from anaphylaxis, which is a goal of the HHS 'Health
People 2010' initiative.

In short, the letter is a wholesale ENDORSEMENTof S. 741, as passed by
the Senate.  While celiac disease is not specifically referenced, it is
well known that our community will benefit from passage of the Food
Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act (FALCPA).

This kind of support is what pushes bills through Congress.  We have
waited anxiously for this news.   NOW that we have it, we can almost
see light at the end of the tunnel!

Stay Tuned -- this could be a REALLY big month.

Andrea Levario and Allison Herwitt
Co-Chairs, Legislative Project
American Celiac Task Force
www.celiaccenter.org/taskforce.asp