From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 2004 05:24:58 -0500

------------------

>Marketplace compared the fatty acid content
>of grass-fed vs feedlot beef:
>www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/food/beef/test_results.html

<snip>

>Rob

Yes, it's a mixed bag: some good things up; some good things down.

But the comparison I really wanted was to include my (a): wild animals.

Grass-fed beef are closer to Paleo than grain-fed beef.  However, the
nutrient profiles of the grain-fed beef will depend on what the "grain"
was.  Soy is not a grain, but I think you'd find some in there.  You may
even find some fish meal - which would account for the high omega-3s in
the grain-fed beef.  Also, grass-fed beef are generally given some
supplements, drenches and other husbandry which reduces stress.

And grain-fed, like grass-fed, are still, basically couch potatoes.  The
benchmark is the Paleo wild animal, not the nurtured grass-fed beast.  I'm
hoping to see how the gap between (a) wild and (b) grass-fed compares with
the gap between (b) grass-fed and (c) feedlot-fed.

Keith